Lebec County Water District is located in Lebec, CA, at the Top of the Grapevine 40 miles South of Bakersfield. CA and 80 miles North of Los Angeles.
The position is for a Water Systems Operator I or II to perform a variety of routine to skilled work in the installation, repair, operation, and maintenance of the District's water distribution system, assist in construction of District water system, meter reads, and perform related work as required.
- California State Water Resources Control Board Water Distribution Operator Grade I or II
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- This is a safety sensitive position and the passing of a pre-employment drug test and background check is required.
- Have a valid CA driver’s license with a clean driving record.
- Live within 1-hour (travel time) from District Office
- Experience operating a Backhoe
- Must be willing to respond after hours
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform a variety of semi-skilled work to inspect, maintain and repair water distribution pipelines, tanks, pumps, hydrants, valves, blow offs, meters, and related appurtenances; inspect and test the distribution system visually to locate damaged or worn parts and makes repairs as necessary.
- Monitor and control the operation of water distribution systems incorporating chemical feed equipment; inspects for compliance with established federal, state, and local municipal codes and regulations.
- Check the operation of automatic pump and valve regulating equipment and adjusts or repairs as needed.
- Exercise proper safety precautions when entering confined spaces.
- Perform valve maintenance and leak detection with the use of electronic devices.
- Perform preventive maintenance on pumps, motors, and other equipment.
- Take water samples and perform chemical tests to measure chlorine residuals as needed.
- Adjust and repair pressure-regulating equipment and remove and replace chlorine cylinders.
- Perform general maintenance duties such as flushing of main lines and dead ends.
- Install, replace, maintain, and repair water and fire services and hydrants, including installing parts and fittings and performing regularly scheduled preventative maintenance.
- Perform various water meter maintenance tasks, including removal, installation, and minor meter repairs; read and service customer water meters; turn customer water services on or off.
- Report water service defects and public safety hazards, including providing exception list information and reporting hazards to supervisors.
- Read and interpret maps and diagrams in the performance of work tasks.
- Observe safe work methods and make appropriate use of related safety equipment as required.
- Operate and maintain a variety of light, medium, and heavy-duty equipment and trucks, as well as hand and power tools appropriate to the functional area of assignment.
- Maintain work areas in a safe, clean and orderly condition, including securing equipment at the close of the workday.
- Install and maintain approved traffic control practices and devices, including street barricades, delineators and cones, to secure a safe work area and control vehicle and pedestrian traffic around work sites to ensure safe conditions for the public and District workers.
- Answer public inquiries regarding work performed in a professional and courteous manner; maintains accurate records of work performed.
- Respond to after-hours emergencies and assists other maintenance crews as requested in emergency or relief situations.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Maintenance principles, practices, tools and materials for maintaining and repairing water distribution systems, including water hydraulics, valves, pipe materials and water service components, pressurized water lines, and other related facilities and equipment.
- The operation and minor maintenance of a variety of hand and power tools, vehicles and power equipment.
- Approved traffic control procedures and traffic sign regulations.
- Safety equipment and practices related to the work, including the handling of hazardous chemicals.
- Safe driving rules and practices.
- Techniques for providing a high level of customer service to public and District staff, in person and over the telephone.
- Perform construction, modification; maintenance and repair work on water distribution systems, facilities and equipment such as found in the District.
- Operate specialized maintenance and repair equipment related to water main cleaning.
- Set up and operate traffic area construction zones, including cones, barricades and flagging.
- Locate underground utilities by use of maps in accordance with Underground Service Alert (USA) regulations.
- Troubleshoot maintenance problems and determine materials and supplies required for repair.
- Make accurate arithmetic calculations.
- Safely and effectively use and operate hand tools, mechanical equipment, power tools, and equipment required for the work.
- Perform routine equipment maintenance.
- Maintain accurate logs, records and basic written records of work performed.
- Follow department policies and procedures related to assigned duties.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Organize own work, set priorities and meet critical time deadlines.
- Use tact, initiative, prudence and independent judgment within general policy, procedural and legal guidelines.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
- Operate a Backhoe under safe conditions when repairing system.
- Health, Vision, and Dental Insurance for employee covered 100% by Employer
- Holiday pay for 9 1/2 days per year
- Simple IRA with 2% company match on wages earned
- Vacation – 1 week first year, 2 weeks second year, 3 weeks fifth year
RESUMES CAN BE:
Emailed to (redacted), mailed to Lebec County Water District P.O. Box 910, Lebec CA 93243, or dropped off at the District office - 323 Frazier Mountain Park Road, Lebec CA 93243